As the 2023 school year began, the Laboratory Safety Institute was asked to spend a day with the leadership of a school district in Massachusetts because they had been cited for 10 violations of OSHA’s safety regulations.
Background: Based on a 2018 law (M.G.L. 149§6½), all public employers in Massachusetts (including public schools) are required to be compliant with OSHA’s lab safety standards.
Six years after the law was passed, school districts continue to be surprised by the new requirements (and OSHA inspections).
Jim Kaufman, Ph.D., founder of the Laboratory Safety Institute, began his career as a high school educator, and developed this one-day professional development program to help hard-working teachers, principals and administrators in the state navigate and understand their new responsibilities. Based on more than 40 years of experience with OSHA compliance, the course helps school districts improve their lab safety programs and avoid costly citations.
How to Comply with MA’s New OSHA Regulations will address:
- The OSHA lab standard and additional lab regulations
- The chemical hygiene officer’s responsibilities
- Chemical hygiene plan development and implementation
- Chemical hazards and control methods
In addition to the listed topics, the course goes further to discuss what a chemical hygiene officer’s responsibilities include beyond the OSHA lab standard, along with numerous resources to assist districts with compliance.
The course is created to encourage discussion, with scheduled discussion time and Q & A periodically throughout the day. Registered as PD for MA teachers.
Who Should Attend?
- ANYONE who wants a safer lab
- Department Heads
- School Administrators
- Science, Art & Technology Educators
- Completion certificate
- Course notebook (A PDF is included free with every course. If you would like a printed notebook, be sure to add that option below.)
- Assessment test for additional fee if needed for PD credit
- 0.7 Continuing Education Units (CEU’s)
- Graduate credit eligibility
- ABIH CM Points eligibility
- 30% off LSI items and 15% off non-LSI items at labsafety.org/shop for 7 days after course
Lodging, transportation and meals not included in tuition for in-person courses.
Purchase orders are accepted with a credit application. Just select “purchase order” as the payment option.
When registering more than one person please make sure to include all the names and email addresses at check-out.
Teachers can become members for $25
Members get 15% off all courses. (Discounts may not be combined.)
How To Comply With MA's New OSHA Regulations
March 26, 2024
9:00 am EDT - 5:00 pm EDT
Virtual (Zoom Meeting)