Fire Safety in Science Laboratories is a course that identifies fire hazards associated with the operation of science laboratories and provides the participants with a knowledge of the proper design/construction and operational practices to prevent or mitigate the hazards of fires. The course is based on the fire protection requirements for laboratories in NFPA 45, Fire Protection in Laboratories Using Chemicals, 2015 Edition and the 2018 International Fire Code (IFC) Chapter 38, Higher Education Laboratories. The course will:
- Detail laboratory fire hazards and the consequences of a laboratory fire
- Familiarize participants with the contents of NFPA 45 and IFC Chapter 38 requirements and how to apply them to science and research laboratories
- Focus on laboratory ventilation and operations with an emphasis on the storage, use, and handling of flammable and combustible chemicals in laboratories.
- Detail best management practices for fire prevention and laboratory safety
- Review lessons learned from accidents and fires in laboratories to demonstrate the value of the fire prevention practices in NFPA 45 and the IFC.
The course materials include 70 pages, double-sided, PowerPoint miniatures for note taking. Participants will also receive a copy of NFPA Code 45 (2015 version is valued at $49.60 for NFPA members).
August 14, 2018 - August 15, 2018
8:00 am EDT - 5:00 pm EDT
August 15, 2018
8:00 am EDT - 12:00 pm EDT
Venue: Natick, MA LSI Classroom
Venue Phone: 508-647-1900Address: