Custom Lab Safety Courses
In addition to our regular scheduled workshops (usually held at a local hotel), the Laboratory Safety Institute can come to your facility and hold a workshop on a date convenient for your staff. We can even completely customize a lab safety workshop that’s just for you. Having the course on-site can present significant cost savings to your organization. In addition, when we teach lab safety in your work environment using your equipment, working directly with your staff (with the support of your management), it makes a more meaningful impact on your organization. Employees can immediately apply what they learn in their day-to-day work.
Interested? Please choose an option below.
We have worked with a diverse portfolio of clients to improve their safety programs. Here’s a small sample.
Corporate / Pharma / Bioscience
- Aspen Aerogels
- BASF USA
- Bioscreen Testing
- B2S Life Sciences
- California Cannabis Industry Association
- Clinical Pathology Labs
- Driscoll Foods
- Hill Dermaceuticals
- J.R. Merritt Controls
- Moses Lake Industries
- National Cannabis Industry Association
- Nestle Purina
- Pathology Lab Solutions
- Roche Molecular
Schools / Colleges / Universities
We would first meet with several senior staff members to review their special interests and then develop sessions tailored to their needs. Sessions ranging from an hour to full days can be offered. Groups of 15 to 25 participants would be appropriate. These programs can also be used for “Train-the-trainer” training.
Chemical Hygiene Plan Overview
Employers who do not have CHPs may wish assistance in the development of such a plan. LSI can prepare a CHP for your lab or assist you in the development process.
Chemical Inventory Services
If you would like assistance in the development or updating of your chemical inventory, Laboratory Safety Institute can help. We can provide the following services:
- Create a physical inventory of your existing chemical supplies.
- Update an existing chemical inventory.
- Install a computer based chemical inventory system to meet your specifications. Both necessary hardware and/or software can be provided.
In addition to these services, we offer a software package for chemical inventory. It allows you to track the name of the chemical, CAS number, room, location, amount, units, minimum level, storage code, purchase date, hazard codes, EPA hazardous compound codes, and other remarks.
Facilities Inspection Services
This “outside view” offers several benefits:
- Provides a fresh look at areas and problems that may currently be taken for granted or overlooked by habit.
- Presents a knowledgeable opinion which is independent from your own organization’s biases.
- Catalyzes implementation of improvements more effectively than “in-house” voices.
Our inspections are comprehensive and cover some or all of the following areas: biological and animal hazards, chemical disposal, chemical handling, chemical storage, electrical hazards, emergency facilities, emergency procedures and preparedness, general facilities, housekeeping, radiation safety, safety equipment, safety program, and ventilation. In addition, inspections can include noise, hearing and respiratory testing and indoor air quality investigation and testing.
Inspected areas need not be limited to laboratories and storage areas. Entire facility inspections can be provided. Shops, offices, maintenance areas, kitchens, pilot plants, industrial and vocational arts areas, and manufacturing can all benefit from our inspection.
Industrial Hygiene Services
These programs will reduce personal exposures and comply with OSHA Comprehensive Standards for chemical exposure and other OSHA standards. Industrial hygiene services include Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation, Laboratory Chemical Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Bloodborne Pathogens, Confined Space, Ventilation, HAZWOPER, and Personal Protective Equipment.
Time is spent both in classroom discussion and in laboratory areas. After a discussion session of about one-hour, we would break-up into groups and spend two to three hours in the lab. Smaller groups of from five to ten people are most effective in the lab portion of the training.
Depending on the number of people to be trained, morning and/or afternoon sessions can be offered.
These services have been provided to many schools, colleges and industries. A list of clients is provided with our inspection proposals.
Leadership Seminar for Senior Management
These 1/2-day seminars focus on the managers’ and administrators’ participation in the safety program and how this impacts the program’s effectiveness.
Regulatory Compliance Audits
We compare your current practices with the regulatory requirements and provide a written report with recommendations.
Safety Program Audit
By carefully examining your safety program, we can identify areas for improvement, possible cost savings, liability exposure, and regulatory non-compliance. The process involves both interviews with staff members and managers for the completion of survey questionnaires.
Safety Program Review & Consultation
This is a free service of the Institute for our organizational members.
Training Seminars and Short Courses
LSI training programs provide several significant benefits:
- Motivates staff and management to care more about health and safety issues…
- Reduces the likelihood of accidents, injuries and potential litigation…
- Provides a strong foundation in the fundamentals of safety… and
- Helps you to develop or improve your safety program.
Our training programs can vary in length from one hour to several days. The length depends on the number of topics to be covered and the depth to which these topics will be discussed.
The program content can be tailored to meet the specific needs of your staff. Content can be selected from a list of over 40 topics (above). If you wish, we can suggest effective program arrangements.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance
- Biosafety: On-site training and assistance with implementing a biosafety program.
- First Aid & CPR Training & Certification
- Hazardous Materials Shipments: DOT HM-181 and HM-126F training
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response: (HAZWOPER) Training. Under CFR29 1910.120(q), employees who are to respond to hazardous material releases must receive training. The training requirements depend on the level of responses by employees. There are five responses levels.
- Laser Safety: Training, audits and program development assistance.
- Loss Control/Risk Management Services: Offers a newly developed system for the reduction of worker’s compensation losses that is exceptional in its ability to decrease injuries and costs.
- Radiation Safety: On-site training and assistance with implementing a Radiation Safety program.
- Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Development: SDS development includes research, pH testing and analysis of mixtures and components and a written SDS of such analyses done.